Top Social

vintage wool, lace, & fog

1/30/2013

Here is another winter look. I have, alhamodillah, started my first real career position as a Maternity/Newborn RN and have had to dress business casual for the first week of orientation at the hospital. Beginning at the end of this week, I will be in wine-colored scrubs forever. Becoming a doctor instead almost seems appealing, so that I could dress normally and just wear a white coat on top. Almost. But I think I'll pass on being a part of a predominantly socially awkward group of colleagues (love you, my people) and the fifty years of education. Kudos to you Sheerin, MashAllah.
I loved the weather today. Can you tell good weather really makes my life? The hospital I work at is downtown next to a major river, so because of the random rise in temperature, it became romantically foggy. Who doesn't love a scene of water bridges and fog with warm breezes in the middle of winter? That's right, only polar bears.
I have recently become significantly interested in fabrics and materials. It began when I became a patient care associate at a dementia unit during school. Somehow, I worked night-shift every weekend without fail for six months until I switched to an as-needed status. That experience taught me that I am not cut out for night-shift, that it is possible to fall asleep while walking, that trying to carry confused, frightened, and resisting human beings to the bathroom in the middle of the night is dangerous and back-breaking, and that after hundreds of hours of doing their laundry, the elderly population have a very solid and high quality of clothing.  This interest has transferred to my preferred Hijab fabrics, as well. Lace net hijabs look surprisingly elegant and have a vintage feel to it. I love the contrast of it with wool or tweed. Silk and silk-like Hijabs look nice with cotton blends, and chiffon-y Hijabs are the way to go for a more professional look (and they never have tassels at the end, thus, a cleaner finish).
This outfit includes an oversize vintage pullover sweater (so comfortable and also so very lovely, if I do say so myself), mint green bubble necklace from Rue 21, black lace Hijab from some Arab country, light pink chinos from H&M, satin electric blue flats from Express, and mixed bangles mostly from Primark in London, holla' at cheap and wonderful Primani. Please come to the USA and complete my life, thank you.



-A
1 comment on "vintage wool, lace, & fog"
  1. gorgeouss and serene. makes me wanna go shopping and sip tea on the steps by the river

    ReplyDelete