Top Social

Art in Timbuktu

1/20/2013
A friend of mine recently sent me some new music to listen to from the incredible country of Mali. You and I have likely studied Mali very briefly in high school World History or Cultures as the powerful and influential Empire of Mali. I know very little beyond that and what I have learned from the stories people have told me. I listened to the songs and particularly grew to like this one:


I have never been to Mali, but this song and some of the scenes in the video instantly gave me a feeling of familiarity and warmth. The more I listen to it, the more I am reminded of India. It takes me back to the dusty summers I spent as a child in the countryside with my grandparents in Southern India. In these moments, when I feel cultures transcend their geographical boundaries, I remember how small the world can really be. Even with the separations of oceans and languages, we are still only a cluster of emotions and relations. Despite man's long history of war, conquests, and violence, we are created with the same capacity to love, and the same, undoubtedly human flaws. Isn't it humbling to understand the universality of even our slightest imperfections?
"O men! Behold, We have created you all out of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes, so that you might come to know one another" (49:13- The Chambers, Verse 13)
Reading more about Mali, I came across several photographers that have attempted to capture the beauty and the magic of the country. I especially liked the photographs of Vicente Mendez:



He has photographed many other countries as well. You can see more of his work here: http://www.vicentemendez.com/. Needless to say, I'm adding Mali to my ever-growing travel list. I would love to go there for work or leisure and be able to photograph and get a brief glimpse of the culture. There is such beauty in the differences between countries but even more beauty in the universality of everything that makes us so human.

-S
Post Comment
Post a Comment