Top Social

winter recipes with Aneela de el blog, "The Desi Knot"

12/14/2013
How to Make the World’s Best Candied Yams!

Boo!! My name is (also) Aneela and I thought I’d come at y’all with a dramatic salutation as Anila has declared ‘Hello’ to be too tedious ;) I write a blog called The Desi Knot about Southasian weddings, design, and whatever else strikes my fancy at the current moment. Today, I thought I would share something we all hold dear to our hearts…food! This is my top-secret (not anymore) recipe for the world’s best candied yams! They were a huge hit at Thanksgiving dinner this year, so I thought I would share my gem-of-a-recipe with all of you! If you try it out, be sure to comment below this post and tell us how it turned out! Also, let us know if you would like to see Aneela and Anila swapping blogs more often! And, be sure to check out Anila’s post on The Desi Knot here. Phew, thank God we spell our names differently or you guys would have been in for a real treat!


Ingredients:
o   4 lbs. boiled and peeled sweet potatoes
o   ¼ cup salted butter (room temperature)
o   ¼ cup sugar
o   ¼ cup milk
o   1 large egg
o   ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

For Topping:
o   1 ¼ cup crushed corn flakes
o   1/3 cup chopped pecans
o   1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
o   1 tablespoon salted butter (melted)
o   2 cups mini marshmallows


Directions:

1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9x13 casserole dish.

2.      Boil and peel sweet potatoes.

3.      To make the topping, combine cornflakes, pecans and brown sugar. Stir in the melted butter until evenly mixed. Set aside.


4.      Mash sweet potatoes and combine with butter, sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract until evenly mixed.

5.      Put sweet potato mixture in prepared casserole dish. 



6.      Cover evenly with topping mixture.

7.      Place into oven and bake until the topping is golden (about 20 minutes). Sprinkle marshmallows over entire dish and bake until lightly golden on top (about 5 minutes).




8. Serve immediately and watch the compliments pour in.

 -Aneela of The Desi Knot

Post Comment
Post a Comment