Top Social

almond tea in Chicago

3/23/2013

For spring break, I had a mini reunion with a few of my closest friends from college and met up in Chicago where Z currently works. I've been to Chicago when I was young and in my early fob days so it was definitely nice to visit again. We did the whole tourist thing and saw most of the landmarks but also got a chance to see the less glamorous parts of the city.

One of the most memorable images that I have in my mind is the Chicago downtown. We walked through it when it was really cold and raining with not enough umbrellas, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Maybe it was the architecture or the lights or the fact that the rain made everything a little bit more peaceful, but
the whole atmosphere just felt very romantic and quite beautiful. Or perhaps it was because everyone let me walk under the only umbrella in our possession...

We had the mandatory deep dish pizza and ate at a few really good restaurants, Medici's and Prasino being my favorite meals (both brunch, not coincidentally). We also had dinner one night at a Senegalese place - Yassa Restaurant - a very homely environment with beautiful decorations. We shared a curried chicken with djolof rice, stewed cabbage and carrots. All of the flavors were spot on and cooked exactly the right amount. If you've never had West African food, you definitely must try it - especially at an authentic restaurant like this one.

One of the highlights of this trip was a little place in Chicago's chinatown called Saint's Alp Teahouse. Z wanted to make sure we went there before I left and I am so glad we did. This little restaurant is actually quite nonchalant and rather ordinary but their tea is definitely worth having. So much so that we went back two nights in a row. I had an almond milk tea initially followed by a jasmine green tea - both incredibly aromatic and stunning to the taste buds. It's a trip highlight not because of the tea itself, but because of the conversation had over the tea. The first night we sat there for hours (until the owner had to ask us to leave because his occasional glares didn't quite do the trick) and most of our discussion revolved around peace and spirituality and the various means and ways of increasing/finding/strengthening it - sometimes even good conversation can do that.


Some of the most meaningful conversations I have had in the recent past have all been over tea (and coffee but tea is just more poetic of the two. unfair world, I know). While I've been drinking tea for a long time, I've only recently begun to appreciate the act and just the idea of tea and conversation is absolutely beautiful to me. Tea is meant to be had in this way. Sipped slowly, over a long period of time, with good company, inviting meaningful conversation and reflection. That is the nature of tea. This whole notion of conversation and tea is meant to create an atmosphere to bring people closer, with its smells, the taste, the act in itself. This concept of meeting over tea or sharing a pot of tea with friends is found literally all over the world, in most cultures, I'm sure. And there are so many amazing teas out there that I could (God-willing) never get bored (my latest love, maté teaholla). Good tea when it's well made is definitely for the soul- in all its warmth, aroma, and taste. I could literally write about tea for hours but I will stop here before I sound like a nut or a total hipster.

My recent interest in tribal prints lead me to purchase a thick, tribal print wool sweater that I absolutely love and came in handy for the cold weather. Easy to wear with boots, in all black and a colored hijab - could alternatively try colored pants as well. Perhaps maroon or dark green.

Chicago is definitely not the ideal spring break location and the very cold weather definitely elicited some violent reactions from me BUT I was still quite a bit charmed by chi-city. And what could be better than spending time with your best friends, no matter how cold the weather.

-S
Post Comment
Post a Comment